Jacob's Reviews > Angel

Angel by Elizabeth  Taylor

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, fiction-and-literature, i-own, nyrb
Read from February 02 to 16, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.

02/02/2012 page 54
21.0% ""Then if I send you some novels, will you read them?" "What will they be about?" she asked cautiously. "I can't make a hazard at your tastes, unless you can tell me something you have read and liked." "I quite liked Shakespeare," she admitted. "Except when he is trying to be funny.""
02/12/2012 page 154
60.0% "This is pretty good...but I got distracted by other books a few days ago and haven't been reading it much, and now I can't seem to continue. I hate when that happens."
02/14/2012 page 193
75.0% ""Have you got all that now, Esme?" asked Lady Baines. "Another one for the pot-bellied. Grow tall..." She put up her chin and quickly straightened her hat. "Stretch. Shoulders back. Buttocks clenched. Now draw in the diaphragm. Hold your breath."" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Jacob Goodreads is using the old cover design. NYRB changed the artwork before publication. See here.

Jacob Thanks! Looks much better, don't you think?

Jacob NYRB Book Club. They send out one of their newest publications each month, usually a week or two early. As if I needed more of their stuff...

message 4: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "NYRB Book Club. They send out one of their newest publications each month, usually a week or two early. As if I needed more of their stuff..."

hahaa you did NOT just do that to me

Jacob One easy payment and you don't have to do anything for the rest of the year. The books just show up! It's like magic!

message 6: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "One easy payment and you don't have to do anything for the rest of the year. The books just show up! It's like magic!"

YEAH

JUST WAVE THE BAGGIE OF CRACK IN MY FACE, DUDE

RICHARD III AND I ARE NOT MADE OF STONE

message 7: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Proustitute wrote: "I feel the same as Moira! I want the books to show up like magic, though, without me paying $150."

I am so not calculating all the money I could "save" for a flat fee of $150 and no postage

Jacob Moira wrote: "RICHARD III AND I ARE NOT MADE OF STONE "

Nor am I! They announced the book club sometime in December 2010, and I signed up immediately. RESISTANCE IS USELESS.

'Sides, Amsterdam Stories comes out next month. WANT.

message 9: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Nescio’s stories look back on the enthusiasms of youth with an achingly beautiful melancholy comparable to the work of Alain-Fournier and F. Scott Fitzgerald. He writes of young dreams from the perspective of adult resignation, but reinhabits youthful ambition and adventure so fully that the later perspective is the one thrown into doubt—and with language as fresh as when it was written a century ago. His last long story, written and set during World War II, is a remarkable evocation of the Netherlands in wartime and a hymn to our capacity to take refuge in memory and imagination.

Oh Christ

FINE

I'll give up lattes
I have like two a day
that's like $4 or something
....no, husband says they're four bucks apiece, what the shit?

Jacob Moira wrote: "I'll give up lattes"

But...you live in Seattle. Isn't that illegal?

message 11: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "Moira wrote: "I'll give up lattes"
But...you live in Seattle. Isn't that illegal?"

I am spending like over $50 a WEEK on fucken LATTES. Christ WTF

Jacob Christ WTF indeed! Surely you can spare $12.50 a month for some lovely, lovely books instead!

Jacob I mean, Amsterdam Stories! Look at that cover!

message 14: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Jacob wrote: "I mean, Amsterdam Stories! Look at that cover!"

that book sounds edible
yeah....

Jacob Also, check out their forthcoming books through June. And Part 1 of their Fall 2012 preview. And Part 2.

Jacob I'll let you know!