Catherine's Reviews > The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health

The China Study by T. Colin Campbell

Feb 02, 12

Recommended to Catherine by: mother-in-law

"Skimmed" would be a more appropriate label than "read."

My mother-in-law gave me this book after I expressed interest in her new diet. For the past two years, she has been on a very low-carb (no refined carbs, no fruit, etc.), high protein, high fat diet, in an effort to keep her borderline condition from going into full-fledged diabetes. The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution So when we visited at Christmas, I was very surprised to see her eating fruit, sweet potatoes, beans, etc. Also, the plethora of vitamin supplements she's been taking for years were gone. Never one to do anything half-way, she's completely switched from an all-you-can-eat animal products buffet to a vegan diet. After more than a month of this, she says she feels great, is losing weight, but feels full and satisfied.

I'm more moderate. While I think Campbell (also my last name, but no relation) has some excellent points, I'm not going to go vegan overnight. It doesn't sound like he did it that way, either. I think he says he gave up meat about 25 years ago and then has gradually cut back on other animal products.

This book will change your perceptions about nutrition and health, at least it changed mine. It's worth a read, or at least a skim.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The China Study.