Eric's Reviews > Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope

Gabby by Gabrielle Giffords

Feb 05, 12

Read from February 01 to 05, 2012

My interest in this book was of course (1) the courageous and fascinating personal story of a remarkable couple and (2) I wanted to read what they had to say about Gabby's rehab course and see how they presented it. I've had the privilege and challenge of overseeing the medical and therapeutic care of many patients with injuries like those described in this book. The authors present a realistic picture and do a pretty good job at describing the roller-coaster that rehab often is. The way they describe their transformation from wanting quick full recovery to understanding that gains are made slowly over long periods with a lot of hard work was particularly insightful, I thought.
I was surprised but grateful that they didn't shy away from some of the more vulnerable moments. Such things are understandably the most difficult but also the most defining.
Gabby and Mark's journey is not unique, but I've rarely read a more honest portrayal. Their story and Gabby's determination remind me what a privilege working with such people is. Gabby's hard work and progress is remarkable and so are those who serve as her support team.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gabby.