Stefan Yates's Reviews > The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy

The Dragon Book by Jack Dann

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from February 01 to March 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Overall, this was a decent collection of fantasy stories all centered around that favorite of fantasy beasts, the Dragon. As usual, with a collection of this sort, there are some really good tales and some really not-so-good ones. But overall I was impressed with the diversity and range amongst the stories and enjoyed reading stories by some fairly big name fantasy authors who to this point I had not yet read any of their other more well known fair.

If you enjoy short story collections in general, I'd rate this one as slightly above average. There was a really nice variety of styles and types of stories included in the collection. Not all of the stories are the set in what most would consider to be the typical fantasy setting. As a matter of fact, most of the tales manage to have a twist or two that put them firmly outside of the box of the ordinary. In many cases this worked great, but in several it was just plain odd.

All in all, I don't feel that I wasted my time on The Dragon Book and would recommend it to others who,like myself, enjoy a collection of short stories to shake things up a bit.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Book.

02/01/2012 page 320