Kelsey Matoushek's Reviews > Romeo Redeemed

F 50x66
Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: netgalley, paranormal-romance, retellings
Read in March, 2012

Romeo Redeemed is a remarkable follow-up to Juliet Immortal. Jay continues her wonderfully creative reimagining of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. It picks up right where Juliet Immortal left off, with Romeo agreeing to serve the Ambassadors by making Ariel believe in love.

Both Romeo and Ariel are fascinating characters to read about. I did not know if Romeo's character could truly be redeemed after all of the horrible acts he previously committed, but Jay succeeds enormously in making the reader sympathize with this character. As Romeo slowly fell in love with Ariel, I was able to observe his character change for the better. It was terrific to see that Romeo honestly regrets his past actions, and truly does want to save the world. Ariel is a very damaged, but strong character that also develops for the better over the course of the story. I am pleased that Jay chose to alternate Romeo and Ariel's perspectives because this gave me a better understanding of their development. The romance between these two damaged characters is beautiful and emotional.

This timeless love story is beautifully written, and the narrative is almost lyrical at times. The pacing is perfect, with plenty of twists and turns, revelations, and betrayals that keep the pages turning. Although the overall tone of this novel is serious, Jay incorporates some welcomed moments of levity. The plot of Romeo Redeemed is just as intriguing and tangled as that of Juliet Immortal. Jay provides the reader with more information about the Ambassadors, Mercenaries, and alternate realities, while maintaining an air of mystery. The conclusion is a perfect ending to Jay's story, wrapping up all of the various characters' storylines and plot threads. However, I do not believe that this can be a standalone title. Readers will need to have read Juliet Immortal to appreciate this story, especially the conclusion to this story.

Thank you to NetGalley and Delacorte BFYR for providing me with an ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romeo Redeemed.