Tracey's Reviews > Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream

Radical by David Platt

Feb 01, 12

Read in January, 2012

Remember that great chapter in John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life, the one about taking risk? Radical is like that. But better. David Platt engages us in this journey, pointing not only to examples in the Bible, but also helping us to see what lives of righteous risk could (should?) look like here and now, in our lives today.

Platt reminds us, "The more our lives are conformed to [Christ's life], the more we will receive what he received in this world." Does he mean wealth, comfort, and success? Of course not. He means we might very well receive what Christ did: betrayal, hatred, and persecution. "To everyone wanting a safe, untroubled, comfortable life free from danger, stay away from Jesus."

There's a reason this book is called Radical. But the radical notions put forth in this book are not the agenda of the author; they are Biblically based. Platt's style is refreshing. He encourages us. He doesn't try to manipulate with guilt. And his writing is very readable, not academic. But be warned: this book could change your life, if you let it. If you've ever been dissatisfied with the notion of pursuing a comfortable life, if you've ever wondered why our lives look so different than the early church, if you want to live your actual "best life now," this book is for you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical.