Jade Paton's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

6922086
Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: own-a-copy, 2012, adventure, dystopia, children, friendship, read-in-english, sci-fi, romance, war, reviewed, politics, nerdy-nerdy
Read from February 01 to April 11, 2012 — I own a copy

My main issue with this book is simple and it seems to be a very frequent problem with series: It's not as good as the first book. There are exceptions, but mostly it's often like this in my opinion. I had expectations based on the first book that Catching Fire didn't manage to fill. Maybe it's the fact that the world has been set and there are no more surprises and new things in this department. But there are series that show that later books can be better than the first ones. For example Harry Potter (the 3rd book), the Watch (the 4th book), the Mediator (the 6th book) or the Sword of Truth (6th book).
Comparing to Hunger Games, Catching Fire was almost boring. There were a few good ideas (like the arena), but mostly it kind of seemed shattered to me. The problem here was pretty similar to what happened to Divergent at the end. I started to shoot too high. I prefer smaller, but complex issues to the bigger ones that tend to be vague and rush (unless you have nine hundred of pages to describe them like George Martin has).
I got stucked twice here, which never happened to me in the first book. The first part of the book was so weak I had to push myself into getting over it. The second part was a little better, but it was mostly about Katniss and her change of mind about the revolution. Other than that, nothing happened there. The last part was good, but it seemed to me as a desperate (and fruitless) attempt to get the story into the level the first book reached.
I really want to read the last book, because I want to finish the series, but something holds me back. I don't feel tempted. I don't want to reach out for the last book, eager to find out what happens. That's not good.
Still, it's a lot better than the Vampire Diaries or Twilight or Two Mirrors, so there's that...no I'm kidding. The book is good. The main reason why I'm so bitter about it is the disappointment. But I'll get over it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

02/01/2012 page 57