Yasmina Elhayane's Reviews > Notes from Underground

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Jul 14, 12

Read from February 01 to July 14, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from Underground.

Quotes Yasmina Liked

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Man only likes to count his troubles; he doesn't calculate his happiness.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“To love is to suffer and there can be no love otherwise.”
tags: love

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“To care only for well-being seems to me positively ill-bred. Whether it’s good or bad, it is sometimes very pleasant, too, to smash things.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I believe the best definition of man is the ungrateful biped.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“They won't let me ... I can't be ... good!”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“But now, all of a sudden, there appeared before me the absurd, loathsomely spiderish notion of debauchery, which, without love, crudely and shamelessly begins straight off with that which is the crown of true love.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I swear to you, sirs, that excessive consciousness is a disease--a genuine, absolute disease.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Just take a look around you: Blood is flowing in rivers and in such a jolly way you’d think it was champagne.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“The poor little thing, she'd saved this student's letter as a treasure and had run to fetch this precious treasure of hers, not wanting me to leave without knowing that she too was the object of sincere, honest love, and that someone exists who had spoken to her respectfully. Probably that letter was fated to lie in her box without results. But that didn't matter; I'm sure that she'll guard it as a treasure her whole life, as her pride and vindication; and now, at a moment like this, she remembered it and brought it out to exult naively before me, to raise her self in my eyes, so that I could see it for myself and could also think well of her."
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I swear to you gentlemen, that to be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I could not become anything; neither good nor bad; neither a scoundrel nor an honest man; neither a hero nor an insect. And now I am eking out my days in my corner, taunting myself with the bitter and entirely useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot seriously become anything, that only a fool can become something.”