Stefan Yates's Reviews > Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Feb 01, 2012

it was ok
Read on January 01, 2006

Where to begin? I just finished this wild ride and I'm a bit disoriented. To be perfectly honest (and I think that my rating sums it up) I did not particularly enjoy this novel. Maybe I'm not open enough to the types of things that the protagonists get into, or maybe I'm a bit too young to get the whole gist of the early 70's drug culture, but I was mostly just lost.

The storyline revolves around a journalist and his attorney and their experiences in Las Vegas covering first a road rally race, then a district attorney's conference all the while hopped up on every kind of drug imaginable.

The first half of the book, they are so stoned out of their minds that most of what they see, hear and experience are just paranoid delusions that they take for reality. I found a lot of it really hard to follow and basically didn't really catch my interest.

Once Part II got into swing, they've run low on some of the more potent drugs and things begin to make a little more sense, or at least are so much less confusing that I could follow what was going on.

Thompson's prose are fine. I do not question his writing ability, I guess I am just not in tune with his style or at least not in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.