Lexie's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Books like this make me realize just how biased my ratings really are.

Because, objectively, this isn't perfect. And that's what five stars means, right? Perfect. 100%. Not a flaw to be found.

And objectively speaking there are flaws in this novel.

There's scarcely a good female character to be found aside from our lovely heroine.

The plot contradicted itself several times.

Alina's last name should be Starkova and you can't get drunk on kvas.

Etcetera etcetera.

But the fact is, when I was reading this novel, I wasn't thinking about a lack in female representation, or a contradictory plot, or improper last names.

I was thinking about the dark, magical, fantastical world, the one that consumed me the moment I cracked open this novel. How marvelous and horrible and utterly entrancing it was; how wonderfully imagined, every last detail.

I was thinking about the romance, how it made my heart pound like a silly teenager (oh, right! I am a silly teenager!), made my stomach clench and made me grin like I was the one being kissed senseless.

I was thinking about the plot, the crazy, layered, chilling plot that I could never quite predict.

I was thinking about a villain so complex that while I recognized the evil of his deeds, his own inherent darkness, the fact that he would most likely always be a terribly awful, terribly dangerous person . . . I still wanted some redemption for him, some semblance of a happy ending.

I was thinking about how beautiful it was despite the horror. How I started this at 12 and finished it at 4 in the morning.

I fell really hard for Shadow and Bone.

And whatever the objective side of me may say, the part of me that stayed up until an obscene hour of the morning just to turn the final page and share my exhausted ramble of a gush with the internet refuses to give this novel anything less than five stars.

EDIT 8/7/13: well, I guess this does seem a bit silly now, what with me lowering the rating to four stars, but after rereading a year later, I just couldn't keep it at five. don't get me wrong--I still think it's a fantastic story, and I'm dying to get the next book. but it was nowhere near flawless, and upon reread, not good enough to make me forget the flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

Quotes Lexie Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.”
tags: mal

Leigh Bardugo
“I don't care if you danced naked on the roof of the Little Palace with him. I love you, Alina, even the part of you that loved him.”
tags: love, mal

Leigh Bardugo
“They are orphans again, with no true home but each other and whatever life they can make together on the other side of the sea.”

Leigh Bardugo
“This was his soul made flesh, the truth of him laid bare in the blazing sun, shorn of mystery and shadow. This was the truth behind the handsome face and the miraculous powers, the truth that was the dead and empty space between the stars, a wasteland peopled by frightened monsters.”

08/05/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/07/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.N. (new) - added it

J.N. My 5 and 4 star comments are the same way. The book is just so good I don't care about what I wasn't fond of.

Lexie J.N. wrote: "My 5 and 4 star comments are the same way. The book is just so good I don't care about what I wasn't fond of."

Precisely. :D

Jennifer Ugh, the Russian last name thing. Authors. Y u no get it right? EVER?

Lexie Jennifer wrote: "Ugh, the Russian last name thing. Authors. Y u no get it right? EVER?"

Literally the only author I've ever seen get it right is Richelle Mead.