Stefan's Reviews > David Copperfield

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: classic-literature
Read on January 01, 2008 — I own a copy

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised!

I have to admit, when I saw that we were reading David Copperfield in class I was dreading it.However, I was pleased to discover how much I enjoyed it. I had always heard horror stories about how dry and boring Charles Dickens' novels were. Those reviews were very inaccurate to say the least.

Admittedly, there are times when the text seems to get a bit wordy and drag on a bit, but overall I thought that this was a very entertaining read. The novel is chock full of wonderfully created characters; each built in with his or her own quirks. I was surprised to find so much humor throughout the novel as well. I had been expecting such a boring read that I was caught off guard and laughed out loud early on in the book. David's adventures (and misadventures) are definitely worth the effort and I will be reading this book (and other Dickens novels) in the near future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Copperfield.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Richard Looking forward to watching you discover Dickens!

James Stefan, it's been a while since you wrote your review but if you haven't already read it, I wholeheartedly recommend Great Expectations. I enjoyed it very much and for many of the same reasons you give for enjoying DC. Both novels are Dickens' only ones written in the first person and both are about looking back on the events of one's life. I never knew I would enjoy Dickens to such an extent, especially considering how much I resisted the assignments of reading him in high school.

David Sarkies I suspect the reason that a lot of his characters are well developed is because they are based on real people. This book (and others) is semi-autobiographical.