Ali *The Black Heart*'s Reviews > The Peculiars

Feb 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: para-ya
Read from February 06 to 23, 2012

Thank you for the Advance Readers Copy Netgalley.com!!

On Lena's 18th birthday, she is given a letter from her long lost father. It contains a small inheritance which Lena decides to use as purchase of an adventure to find who, or what, she is. For Lena believes she is a Peculiar. The Peculiars are, for lack of a better word, mutants banished from acceptable society. Lena spent her entire youth hiding who she is and is ready to find a place she belongs, perhaps in Scree - the land of Peculiars. Along the way she will meet an enthusiastic librarian, a mad scientist, a charming lawman, a winged woman and a cat who's crying sounds like human mumbling. But will she find herself?

First, let me speak to the cover (as I am such a sucker for a great cover).... It is beautiful and pulled me in immediately. Big applause there.

Now to the plot. McQuerry's world in The Peculiars is interesting and intriguing. It has a Victorian/ Steampunk feel, which I am a fan of. It was mysterious and exciting and I loved it.

However, the characters inside the world didn't draw me in as much as I had wanted to. Lena herself started out great as an awkward, somewhat sheltered girl but she never felt fully developed to me. Other characters seemed a bit pointless even. Honestly my favorite character was the cat.

It's a solid good book, just not over the top memorable.

*A copy of this title was provided to me by the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peculiars.

02/11/2012