Erin's Reviews > Dreamless

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: tbr-on-ipad
Read from May 27 to June 27, 2012

*****3.5 stars*******

Okay, so this is a toughie for me. I am a huge Starcrossed fan, it is such a well-executed, thrilling story with characters that I just absolutely fell in love with. The wait for Dreamless was a long one, so I couldn't wait to dive right in the day it was released. Honestly, though, I found myself really struggling to get back into the story, and at about 20% in I had to shelf this one for a few weeks. I finally sat down today and finished it, and I was a little disappointed when I was done.

The fact that the plot just didn't hold my interest was a big part of the issue. In the beginning of Dreamless, Helen is essentially just repeating the same process over and over again, going down to the underworld searching for the answer to stopping the furies. There wasn't a whole lot else going on, even with the secondary characters, so I just got bored with it. When Orion finally came into the picture, things started looking up a bit. Not b/c I was all that into his character, but it was a twist that I could latch onto. There was a lot of fact-sharing and history-revealing, but without any exciting action going on in the mean time, it was hard to keep interested.

Then here's my biggest problem; the thing that I loved MOST about Starcrossed was the beautiful romance between Lucas and Helen, and I realized early on that their relationship (of any capacity) was just absent here. Yes, Starcrossed ended with them thinking they were cousins, so we all knew where this was going for awhile. But I didn't expect Lucas to just be gone from the story in the way he was in Dreamless. He was heartbroken and alone, and Helen was heartbroken and going through hell, but they hardly even speak to each other. It bothered me that all of the other characters just expected them to get over it, and just expected Helen to put herself through the nightly torture. Everyone acted as if they were just being asked to do these simple tasks, and when they struggled with them it was shameful. It made the whole situation even more hard to swallow for me.

What saved this book for me was the last 25-30% of the story. There are plot twists and struggles with the enemies that kept me glued to the book, plus I FINALLY got what I'd been waiting for. Here, we finally see the return of the Lucas we all so dearly missed, the love that they share, and how amazing they are when they work together!!! He helps Helen finally sort things out in her head, and he's there for her to support her so she knows that she's not alone. THIS was what was missing in the first part of this book, and I was so very happy to have it back!!!! God, I just love Lucas!! I really ended up liking Orion in the second half of the book, too, despite my objections to Helen falling for him. It's so not fair to Lucas, but I didn't let that fact cloud my judgement of Orion. He's sweet, caring, brave, and drop-dead gorgeous, so it's hard to not love him!! =)

Lucas and Helen by far make the greatest changes in Dreamless, and they both become much stronger and more confident in their strengths. Though Helen does doubt herself during her trips to the underworld, she keeps pushing through and pushing herself to the limit so that she can complete the task and save all of them from the furies. When the final battles come around, she once again finds the strength within herself to fight for all of them. I loved watching her get all bad-ass again, I hated seeing her run down and desperate. And Lucas, between his growing temper and newly developed abilities, is shaping up to be a force to be reckoned with in the future!! I'm miffed that he and Helen still don't know the truth at the end of Dreamless, and I worry what that will mean for him in the next book. I really hope they don't have to be in the dark much longer, I could just strangle Helen's mother for keeping the truth from them!!

So, overall I wanted much more from a good portion of the book, but I thoroughly enjoyed the rest. I'm still a huge fan of the series and I very much look forward to reading Goddess next year!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamless.

Sylvia Oh thank God I can finally talk to someone about this what you up to and what you think ??

Erin lol, I'm on Insanity now but I'll start this one tonight!! I'm excited to finally get to it!!

Sylvia Oh Insanity is SO BEAUTIFUL and GUT WRENCHING and yes I can't wait for you to start Dreamless Annie got it too woohoo

Daphne I'm enjoying Dreamless also. I had to read the last book to remember the characters.

Erin Daphne wrote: "I'm enjoying Dreamless also. I had to read the last book to remember the characters."

I was the same way!! I had to flip through to figure out who the heck Zach was, and I went over the last couple of chapters to remember the rest of them. I need to get back to it, I stopped at 10% to start another book that I just couldn't put down!!

Trista I just got this one in the mail today.

Carmina Omg. I totally agree with everything that you've said. I really hope Lucas and Helen find out that their not cousins soon. I'm totally pro-Lucas. Haha