Lisa's Reviews > Breaking TWIG

Breaking TWIG by Deborah Epperson

Feb 12, 12

Read in February, 2012

This was a free book on Pixel of Ink. The premise looked interesting, and I will say that the overall plot had some things going for it. The primary concept--an abused girl grows up to find herself becoming the thing she despises--has plenty going for it. The author came up with some satisfying plot resolutions, and the characters pretty much all had both good and bad features rather than falling into the "white hat"/"black hat" trap.

But...but. I kept looking for a depth of emotion that I just didn't find. Through a bunch of pretty horrific happenings, I was never able to connect emotionally with the protagonist--or any of the characters, really. Maybe if the writer had chosen something other than first-person narration...I don't know. Everything felt...removed...somehow, especially where I wanted it to feel raw and immediate.

The author also chose to make some pretty risky choices regarding one of her primary love matches. She did her best to set it up so that it wouldn't come off as creepy, but I'm not sure she succeeded. I think it would be a really tough sell no matter what the premise, but I ended up getting a real "Flowers in the Attic" vibe off it. That might not be an issue for a lot of readers, but it was for me.

And the book was LONG. It's hard to tell exactly how long on the Kindle, but...long. After about two chapters, I ended up skimming the remainder so I could find out what happened--the plot, as I said, had enough interest that I wasn't willing to just shut the thing down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking TWIG.