Angela's Reviews > Beastly: Lindy's Diary

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: novella, retellings, fantasy, female-pov, annoying-protagonist
Read in January, 2012

Two years ago, I read Beastly and loved it. I know it is a bit overrated and the movie sucked (the script writers should be sued). But I just loved the modern-day twist incorporated in Beauty and the Beast for Beastly. By far, the best retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

I was not really sure what to expect for Lindy's diary entries. Kyle's POV was entertaining by itself because of the huge dramatic change he goes through throughout the course of Beastly's two years. Here, it also takes place over the course of two years, but this time it left out many details because Beastly has already told the events. I kind of wish Alex Flinn had told these events from Lindy's POV more because I could not really see the entire relationship Kyle and Lindy had developed in Beastly. In other words, I wanted to see MORE.

My first read-through of Beastly: Lindy's Diary was quite disappointing. I found myself unable to relate to Lindy's thinking and philosophy. I understand that her life was definitely not the best. In fact her life just plain sucked. However, Lindy's diary entries repeatedly state that she cannot love the beast, even though she admits it. Just admit it girl!!! It's ridiculous! Love can be reluctant, but Lindy was just too much. From Lindy's POV, I saw Kyle's predicament as more pitiful. She described his "beastly" features a whole lot better than Kyle did. Probably because she was not ashamed of her own face. She pitied him and claimed to have fallen in love with him. But never followed through. Now that I think about it, she still does not seem to love him, according to her diary entries. Of course, in Beastly she does, which proves that Kyle's thinking is skewed.

My second read-through was slightly different, but not by much. I did find myself slightly more sympathetic to Lindy. I understood her feelings somewhat better than the first time, but I still found myself disliking Lindy. I felt so sorry for Kyle and everything he has to suffer because of Lindy's hesistance in where she plans to head her relationship with him. When I reached the end of the novella again, I was once again disappointed with the last diary entry. It was somewhat unfulfilling. I know the whole story ends with Kyle's narration in Beastly, but I wanted more of Lindy's feelings. I wanted to fully understand what she really thought of Kyle/Adrian. It just felt so incomplete when I finished.

Lindy's Diary was a must-read for me when I first found out about it. I was so excited to read it, but it was a little disappointing for someone like me, who wanted to find out the whole story between the two lovebirds. Beastly did a pretty decent job, but Lindy's Diary not so much. Lindy's diary entries did encourage me to revisit the world of Beastly because of some of the allusions it made to the plot. But honestly, I would not recommend it for people who enjoyed Beastly and are thinking to read Lindy's Diary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beastly.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alexandria Your review nailed it! You explained it best! :)

Angela Alexandria wrote: "Your review nailed it! You explained it best! :)"

Thanks

message 3: by Me (new) - rated it 3 stars

Me I agree. I was hoping for more from Lindy. I am not fully convinced from her entries that she loves Kyle/Adrian. But I really enjoyed Beastly.

Angela Nicad wrote: "I agree. I was hoping for more from Lindy. I am not fully convinced from her entries that she loves Kyle/Adrian. But I really enjoyed Beastly."

Beastly was amazing!!! Did you watch or like the movie?