Magan (Rather Be Reading)'s Reviews > Shooting Stars

Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, own-arc
Read from February 01 to 03, 2012

Really fun and lighthearted. Had more to it than I initially thought, which made it even more worthwhile to read.

------

FULL REVIEW originally posted on Rather Be Reading:

I was immediately attracted to Shooting Stars when I saw the girl on the cover was holding a camera; my two loves were combined – photography and reading. However, I must admit, this can also be a dangerous combination. I read Famous, a book also about a teenage photographer, and very strongly disliked the book because I couldn’t stop thinking about the un-likelihood from a professional standpoint. I hoped that Jo’s story would feel more authentic and real.

My initial thoughts were that the story was definitely fun, but maybe a little bit cheesy. I was impressed by how well Rushby described the job of a photographer. Jo’s character was easily relatable and enjoyable to get to know. It wasn’t until she became a resident at the rehab center and went undercover, though, that I really understood how much more there would be to Jo’s story.

She has big, big dad and family issues. She meets people in the facility who are dealing with some pretty crushing life issues, too. And then there was the huge twist in the storyline that definitely shocked me. When this happened, the whole story changed for me because I wasn’t expecting it at all. The book went from silly to more serious in a split second.

It was a change that was definitely welcomed. As I was reading, I could see the moral dilemma that Jo was going to face. I was going to be really upset if there wasn’t something more to come out of Shooting Stars than Jo scoring a bunch of money for a job well-done. In the end, I also like reading and feeling like I’ve learned something. This will be a great book for teenagers to walk through Jo’s situation and decide how they would follow through with the job.

As a result of the big surprise, there was a lot of character development and growth for Jo. I enjoyed seeing her figure out what her goals were and how much being a paparazzo impacted them. Her attempts to get shots with her hidden cameras were pretty hilarious and I loved seeing her fall in love. For a girl who isn’t close to many people, Jo had a lot to learn about letting her guard down to be in a relationship.

This was a really fun, quick read for me. I am happy to have read a book involving photography that I enjoyed. Shooting Stars comes out on Tuesday, February 28th. Don’t forget to it add it to your to-read list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shooting Stars.

02/01/2012 page 69
02/02/2012 page 190
70.0% "No idea what's going to happen here. My insides are in knots with anticipation. Much more complicated story that I would've thought."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids YAY! I'm so glad you enjoy it as well! It was such a nice change in pace for me. I surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

Magan (Rather Be Reading) Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids wrote: "YAY! I'm so glad you enjoy it as well! It was such a nice change in pace for me. I surprised with how much I enjoyed it." So was I, Katie! There were twists and turns I wasn't expecting and that made me really excited. :)