Aly (Fantasy4eva)'s Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: conflicted-thoughts, crushing-on-the-cover, received-for-review, swap
Read in June, 2011

it helped that i reached into this book without any expectations.

we are introduced to sixteen year old jacob. a boy who grew up being very close to his grandfather. more so, than is own parents. to be more specific, they were close when he believed the stories his grandfather told him. of being with people with strange abilities, of crazy adventures. but as he grew, he started to find the stories ridiculous, and towards the end, they weren't as close. maybe that's why his grandfathers last words mean so much to him, and leave him questioning everything he doubted about the man he once held so dear. or maybe it's just the guilt ticking in. but regardless, it's not before long that he sets out to do right by his grandfather.

i actually thought that jacob was around 12/13 for a while, until his age was revealed. and when it was, i felt a little unsettled. i thought it would have much better suited the book if he was in fact that age, because he had the tendency to act like such a child. it would have just made more sense.

the romance. eeek. i don't know what to think about it. it's a little fucked up to be honest. let's just not go there shall we. decide that one for yourselves, me thinks.

was the book creepy. not really. this was one of the big downsides to the book. i mean, the pictures are creepy enough, so i expected the stories to kind of follow that up, but i was pretty much let down time and time again. and although it was awfully nice and kinda cool meeting some of those characters, it just wasn't enough.

i loved the photographs though. they have to be the whole highlight of the book. if anything, i'm glad i read this just for them. especially the more mysterious ones. they clicked with me, and i found myself wondering about them and their story long after i had read the book. a personal favourite of mine has to be the couple lying in the grass. i thought about that one for days after. i thought it was such a beautiful and sincere moment. i think you'll understand where i'm coming from once you see it ;)

parting thoughts? once i got into it, i thought it would end up being a lot better. not so. but it was interesting and kept me engrossed. and the photographs <3 definite highlights.

i liked it. i just think it had a lot more potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.