John's Reviews > High Season

Feb 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, mystery, audible
Read in February, 2012

Not a bad use of some leftover Audible dollars, and worth the current price of $4.95 there. The only thing I didn't care for was having to listen to (as opposed to skim past) the TMI sex scenes between Coffin and his girlfriend - ugh! Charles Bice's narration was fine, except for his habit of pronouncing the nearby town of Orleans as OR-lee-ans; I've always heard it as Or-LEANS.
As for the story itself, the scene-setting worked well (I've never been to P'town myself), and the pacing moved along without getting bogged down. The secondary characters served to support the story, without overshadowing Coffin - I especially liked his partner Lola, and friend Kowalski. May sound harsh, but I didn't really care for his girlfriend, and her angst about her ticking biological clock ... zzzzzzz ... and was secretly hoping she'd be killed off the one time she was in danger (spoiler: no such luck). Also, perhaps I'm not cynical enough, but I found it tough to believe the baddies could pull off quite that level of corruption.
I'll wait a while to tackle the sequel Mating Season, listening to it if the audio's been produced, or reading the print version otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Season.