Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Jul 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, blog-reviewed, debut-author-2012
Read from March 09 to 10, 2012

Also will post near release date on the blog: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/

Gorgeous cover? Check. The monstrous hype? Check. Slave girl turned a saint with powers? Check. Love interest who's also the best friend? Check. <-- Do you see? All these signs point that I will love, no, DEVOUR this book..... Argh. Imagine my disappointed when it failed to wow me. *cries*

I never really connected with the main character Alina. Sure, she wasn't whiny, or needy, but there was something about her that I didn't like. Meh. There were also times when I thought that Alina was trying too hard. Like Bardugo was trying too hard (and failing) to make her heroine more kick-ass. As if we don't already have enough of that in the YA genre. (Don't get me wrong, I love all the Katniss, the Tris, the Rose, but this one just wasn't working for me.)

The romance was also something that I wasn't really happy about. In the beginning, it was amazing, but since the love interest didn't show up again until near the end, it didn't left time for his character to develop fully, and the transition to them being best friends to lovers was something that I found too quick. (That's not a spoiler by the way - it's blatantly pointed out in the summary)

So. The names. And places. And terms. And basically everything else. Argh. What I really loathe in fantasy novels, is when the author introduces so many new word terms and places and stuff that I just found myself so overwhelmed and not knowing what the fudge is going on or what it is. Seriously. I gave up trying to understand, so I just went along. One of my biggest book peeves ever.

The twist near the end was definitely something that I loved and one of the many things that I graded this a B. If that thing didn't happen, then this would have a C plastered all over it.

Overall, if you like fantasy and a little something different, then Shadow and Bone would suit you. I, on the other hand, enjoy kissing and contemporary a lot more. :P
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

03/09/2012 page 39
11.0% "I'm already in love with Mal and only on Chapter 2! Good sign :)"
03/09/2012 page 83
23.0% "I don't like the writing in this.."
03/10/2012 page 133
36.0% "the terms are really confusing me :/"
03/10/2012 page 200
54.0% "Argh! I want more romance!!!"
03/10/2012 page 245
67.0% "Now, this! THIS is what I'm talking bout! Finally, some freaking action and plot!"
show 4 hidden updates…

Jessica at Book Sake I can't wait to start this one!

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) Oh noes!! I've been hearing so many awesome things about this one...can't wait for your review.

Jana (The Book Goddess) Jessi, yes me too! I heard LOTS of amazing things about this one, and I was so ready to put it on my favourites list, but something just didn't... I don't know. I'm writing my review right now and will post it on GR later :)

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj There has been so much hype for this, which makes me really excited to read it, but now I'm a little apprehensive...

Jana (The Book Goddess) That's what happened to me, the hype kinda ruined it for me because I was expecting BIG stuff but it just fell flat :( I can't wait to find out your thoughts if you do read it :)

message 6: by ◕ ◡ ◕ Arooj (last edited Mar 10, 2012 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj I'll just try not to have high expectations. I still can't wait to read it!

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) I have had waaaay too many lately like that. I think they're going to be AMAZING and then they just totally flop. I think the only one that hasn't been like that for me lately is Partials.

Jana (The Book Goddess) Oooh, I've got a copy of Partials but haven't read it yet - might have to move it up on my list then, if its good :)

Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) It was awesome!!