N.E. White's Reviews > The Stranded

The Stranded by Hugh Howey

Feb 03, 2012

Read from February 01 to 03, 2012

This review is for the first five of the WOOL series.

WOOL is AWESOME on 142 levels. They are so good, one must say as little as one can about them so that you don't ruin it for the new reader. With that, here's my review.

The WOOL series of short stories began as a stand alone tale that soon grew to five, well-received short stories that weave a dyspotian tale of human perseverance. Set in the distant future, the world outside is toxic. People live and die beneath the earth in silos. Except for a few whom are tasked with cleaning the exterior monitors, no one goes outside. For to do so is a sure death sentence as nothing can resist the toxic winds that whip a scorched earth.

Everyone is not sure why, but when put out to clean, most folks do. Though they have no reason to, they all seem to take the time to clean the monitors, allowing those inside a glimpse of a world they once knew. After cleaning, they inevitably walk a small distance away to die. Their decaying bodies remind all inside what awaits them out there.

That is, of course, until one of the cleaners walks away.

Set in the near future, the WOOL series is an exploration of humanity and hope as we follow the rise and fall of the inevitable. The story revolves around a mechanical engineer with more sense than luck as she tries to do what is right, the IT head with more on his shoulders than we can imagine, and a whole host of characters than remind us of who we all are. To say more than that would give too much away. I can’t recommend this series enough. The writing is tight, the plot intriguing, and the story of these characters trapped in the underground silos will move you to tears.

And hope.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranded.

02/01
05/22 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Hugh (new)

Hugh Howey Wow. Thanks for this awesome review, Nila!

Jessa outstanding review!

N.E. White Thanks. It was an outstanding series of shorts.

Clifton Hill Fabulous book.

N.E. White Clifton wrote: "Fabulous book."
It is. I should re-read it sometime soon.

Clifton Hill No kidding. I remember being hooked by the first paragraph of Wool #1, rushing through it to the end, then staring at the buy the next book options vs. the Omnibus and happily buying the rest all at once.