rebecca's Reviews > Latte Trouble

Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle

Jul 19, 08

Recommended for: Ashley A
Read in July, 2008

This is the 3rd book in the Coffeehouse Mystery series and, I think, significantly better than the first two. The first volume was trying too hard to be a mystery/romance and the romance bits were slightly over the top and awkward. It felt a bit like it had been composed by committee, so it wasn't much of a surprise to learn that "Cleo Coyle" is the pen name for a husband and wife writing duo. Unlike Clare Cosi, the romantically confused, but endearing main character in the series, the couple who write the books seem to have worked out some of their (writing)relationship issues and the 3rd book in the series has better dialogue and a more interesting plot. Plus, although there's still lots of coffee-talk and digressions into the merits of various beans and roasts and recipes, but it's more organic, interesting, and feels less like schtick.

I probably wouldn't have read past the 1st book in the series, had I not picked up the 2nd volume at the same time. The 2nd volume was enough of an improvement that I picked up the 3rd, although I wasn't in a rush to get to it. Perhaps the coffeehouse mysteries have hit their stride, I'm now actually looking forward to reading the next one to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Latte Trouble.