Space's Reviews > The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Oct 02, 2015

bookshelves: audio-books
Read in May, 2015 , read count: 3

Good. Real good. What we've got here is a true spawn of science-fiction meets fantasy. And I quite enjoyed it. Clearly, he's got a lot of story to tell, and I'm in for a lot of reading as I want to read the entire Dark Tower series.

I think the most powerful element here is the characters. Each is defined and developed really well and there exists a closeness to them, wherein you find yourself missing them as they leave the story by death or exit. The story itself is good enough, though I'm not sure where the idea of the Dark Tower came from. It is beyond size. The rail-head and nexus of all times and places? Of all universes? It's necessarily too big for my feeble human mind to grasp, according to the story. So of course, I'll endeavor to do just that by continuing to read the books.

For being such an old King novel, this was really a good one. One of my favorites, and I'm curious as to why I didn't heed the advice of friends and start this one sooner.

George Guidall's voice is perfect for the part. The first few sentences he read frightened me a little. I was worried I wouldn't adapt to it. Nonsense, obviously. He was remarkable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

02/07/2012
40.0% "Some of King's best writing."