Mae R's Reviews > Escape from the Badlands

Escape from the Badlands by Dana Mentink

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: firstreads-wins
Read from February 03 to 17, 2012

I mean it in the most loving way possible when I say that "Escape from the Badlands" is a mix of a Lifetime Original Movie and an episode of Scooby-doo. I was interested to read this book as I'd never read a "Love Inspired Suspense" (aka, Christian Romance Mystery) book before and was interested to see how the religious element would be integrated with the suspense/mystery element. I've read other Inspirational/Christian books before, and generally they left a bad taste in my mouth as more often than not they fell back on preachy passages and contrived, unrealistic characters in order to forward their religious message. "Escape from the Badlands," on the other hand, uses a much lighter, much more realistic hand with the Christian element, and rather than being shoe-horned in to create a Message, the religious leanings of these characters and their moments of prayer seem very natural and organic. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the plot was, for the most part, pretty suspenseful. The reader is almost immediately thrown in to a case of life-or-death action, setting the tone for the rest of this fast-paced narrative. However, many elements of the mystery are based on coincidences which stray into the territory of downright unbelievably convenient and in the end all the loose ends tie up a little too nicely, hence my Scooby-doo comparison. Regardless, for what is is, a quick little romance/mystery, this book was a lot of fun and will, I'm sure, be accompanying me on many a beach and car trip in the future. In the interest of full-disclosure, I won my copy of "Escape from the Badlands" via goodreads.com's book giveaways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape from the Badlands.