Matt's Reviews > That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back

That Used to Be Us by Thomas L. Friedman

7491967
Feb 05, 12

Read from February 01 to 05, 2012

The first book I read by Thomas Friedman was his Pulitzer Prize-winning book on the Middle East, titled "From Beirut to Jerusalem." Before that, I read his columns whenever they appeared in the Cincinnati Enquirer, and now his other books, such as "The World is Flat" and "The Lexus and the Olive Tree," are on my list of books of read. This latest book, co-written with Michael Mandelbaum, the director of American Foreign Policy at the Johns Hopkins School of International Studies, is an excellent book that, unlike most literature and nonfiction of the day, attempts to point out the good things about America while recognizing its faults in different areas, and how we got to the impasse that we seem to find ourselves in today. It's highly informative, drawing upon articles and books, as well as the authors' experiences, to present readers with a picture of what needs to happen in America in order to bring us back to the top again instead of staying in the doldrums and pretending like nothing's wrong. I cannot recommend this book enough.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Used to Be Us.