Jane Stewart's Reviews > Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: erotic-contemporary-romance
Read in February, 2012

I liked some parts, but I got tired of it after a while. It’s long. Lovers of book 1 will like it.

This is graphic BDSM erotic romance. There is no paranormal. There are no vampires.

If you’re considering my opinion on this book, please read my review of book 1, Fifty Shades of Grey. I didn’t want to duplicate that review here, but it applies.

This is book 2 in a trilogy. You must read book 1 before this. Both books are longer than average. The first book had the couple meet and get to know each other. Book 1 ends with a conflict, and the couple is apart. This book starts with Ana grieving over their break up, and then they get back together. Most of this story is Ana questioning and worrying about how Christian feels.

(view spoiler)

This is an erotic story, filled with many lengthy sex scenes. There is bondage, spanking, sex toys, and one instance of rear door activity.

These stories were originally written on the fan fiction website under Twilight. The characters’ names were Edward and Bella. The author changed the names to Christian and Ana for this ebook publication. I can see how Twilight fans loved being in that world and were eager for almost any story about Edward and Bella. In that sense this was probably very satisfying. But as an independent story, it didn’t do much for me. About 2/3 the way through I was impatient for it to be over. I was not interested enough to read book 3 (Fifty Shades Freed). So I was delighted that Kristen summarized the book 3 plot for me so I could know what happened without spending time to read it. Several reviewers were unhappy with book 3.

If you’d like to see Kristen’s summary of book 3, see message 2 in the comments after her review of Fifty Shades of Grey.

DATA:
Kindle count story length: 10,495 (1776 KB). Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: strong. Number of sex scenes: 16, some very long. Setting: current day mostly Seattle, Washington. Copyright: 2011. Genre: erotic contemporary romance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Darker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura (Kyahgirl) I'm glad I packed it in on book 1 I guess. I've gotten enough from reviewers I'm generally in sync with to realize I probably won't find much to love in books 2 and 3.

I like your reviews Jane, even when we disagree and am glad I follow you. :-)

Jane Stewart Laura wrote: "I'm glad I packed it in on book 1..."

I had such a hard time writing this. I think that’s why I gave it a 3, because I didn’t know what to give it. I just hope I explained it well enough so that people can make a better decision.

Thanks for your nice comment. I’m glad you follow me :-)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wow! Thank you, Jane, for linking my review in your review. What a compliment. Your review is honest, straight forward and will benefit many potential readers. Nicely done.

Jane Stewart Multiple thank yous Kristen. I’m going to be dangerous now that you taught me to do links.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jane wrote: "Multiple thank yous Kristen. I’m going to be dangerous now that you taught me to do links."

Lol.