Girlw2whitedogs's Reviews > The Kitchen House

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

Feb 01, 12

Read in January, 2012

The book was horrible. I wasn't even able to finish it. The only reason I purchased it was because of the reviews that people wrote on Amazon. Everyone that gives this book a 5 star rating and calls it the best book they have ever read have never read a really good book.

I couldn't find the point of the story. The author would jump from one incident to the next. She provides details that make no sense or are totally irrelevant to the story. There is no flow to the story. It reads like a 5 year old telling you a story. ie "and then we did this, and then this happened ,etc". It was horrible.

The characters were never properly introduced. I had a hard time trying to keep track of who was who and what their purpose was in the story. I can’t say anything good about this book. It was just horrible that I got fed up and decided to finally put it down and move on to something that will grip me from the start.

I hate the fact that I actually spent money on this book and was unable to finish it! Save yourselves the money and find another book to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen House.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Karen I couldn't agree more with your review. I didn't finish it either. Got tired of keeping up with too many characters and tragedy after tragedy. I had a hard time keeping track of everything and it became tireseome.

Traci I couldn't finish it either--it's too cruel of a book. I got to where Will wanted to buy Belle and marry Lavinia and called it the end. A happy contrived story is given poor reviews and called chick lit--why is a cruel contrived story considered literature?

Christy Dombroski Do you people know anything about the cruel history of Slavery in this country?? If you can't handle reading about tragic events taken from stories that are not at all exaggerations of actual historic events, then maybe you should be reading books for 5-year-olds!

message 1: by Traci (last edited Sep 06, 2014 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Traci Christy wrote: "Do you people know anything about the cruel history of Slavery in this country?? If you can't handle reading about tragic events taken from stories that are not at all exaggerations of actual hist..."
Chrisy, there's a big difference between knowing about a cruel history and taking pleasure in spending large amounts of time imagining fictitious versions it. There is a difference between fiction and non-fiction and if you're suggesting that this book should be read by adults to understand the country's history (which seems to be the point of your oddly combative comment), I'm going to have to disagree with you. When I learn about a period I read books written by historians, not melodramas that are as contrived as the worst commercial paperbacks. There are many people in this country that choose unqualified entertaining sources and then pretend to 'educated' about a period. The fact that I do not enjoy following imaginary people through horrific moments in intricate detail does not, in fact, make me a child. It makes me not a psychopath. I read history in books written by historians. If you get your history from books written by novelists, I think you're not best qualified to say what is and is not age appropriate.