Gemma's Reviews > The Deep End Of The Ocean

The Deep End Of The Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: drama
Read from February 01 to 03, 2012

I enjoyed this book. It is a story about a family who lose a child. The Mother, Beth takes the children away and asks her older son who is 7, to watch her younger son who is 3 whilst she takes care of a hotel booking - she is just across the lobby. When she returns, Ben is gone and is nowhere to be found.
The book then follows the family, including extended family as they try to figure out what happened and where Ben has gone. Then, 10 years later Ben re-appears. (not a spoiler, it tells you on the back)

I have read reviews where people say the story is too much coincidence, well I guess yes it is however the same reviewers have said that they checked the back first to see if the child was alive. Also a lot of reviews where the Mother is selfish, but in my opinion I think the author has dealt with this difficult story line really well, no one knows how they would react in this terrible situation, and Beth just completely shuts down, doesn't feel like a mother any more, more of a failure I guess. I feel that the author really handles this difficult subject & family emotions well.

I have not given this 5 stars, as in places I felt it was a bit too descriptive, and also a bit jumpy. I would read the second one, and do recommend this.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deep End Of The Ocean.

02/02/2012 page 260