Nick's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Feb 04, 12

Read from February 01 to 03, 2012

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

Bittersweet was my first Sarah Ockler book. I'd heard tons of great reviews about this book. Some reviewers have even compared it to Anna and The French by Stephanie Perkins. Fortunately, those reviewers were in fact right !
I absolutely enjoyed reading Bittersweet.

The story is about Hudson. She is a small-town girl who once used to aspire to become a world-class skater. However, Hudson's dreams are shattered when her father betrays her. Now, Hudson bakes these amazing cupcakes for her mom's dinner.

Hudson was a very realistic character. She was easy to relate to. She wasn't perfect. In fact, she was far from it. Having had her dreams broken, she now refuses to believe that good things can happen to her. I really felt for Hudson because I knew exactly how shattered dreams could feel like. Skating used to be everything to her. Also, Hudson is friendly and caring. Her interactions with her best friend,Dani, and her brother, Bug, were really sweet.
Throughout the book, Hudson makes numerous mistakes, but in the end she tries to fix everything once she realizes the extent of her mistakes.
Hudson is someone who undergoes a lot of personal growth in this book.

The love interests in this book consist of Josh and Will. Both guys belong to the hockey team. Josh was kind, sweet, a little shy and caring. Will, on the other hand, was outspoken, quite manipulative but nevertheless a great character. It's obvious that I preferred Josh. I loved how he was always there for Hudson. I loved how sometimes he could act shy around her. I loved how he loved his sister. Basically, I loved Josh.
Now don't get me wrong, I liked Will too, but somehow, I thought he was using Hudson the whole time.

The secondary characters were also great in this book. Dani, Bug, Hudson's mom, the hockey team players, Kara and everyone else.
I especially liked how they helped Hudson directly or indirectly in the book.

The romance in the book was predictable but, terribly sweet. It was the kind of romance that progresses slowly. I liked the pace of it. Hudson and Josh's relationship starts out from friendship and I always like that kind of romance because it seems a lot more real. It gives the relationship depth.

The plot of the book is basically about Hudson's attempt at once again achieving her dreams and what she learns through this attempt.
Sarah Ockler is a great writer and I liked how she started out each chapters by a description of all the cupcakes Hudson makes. It was mouth watering !

I truly liked this book. It was light and fluffy, the kind of book that leaves you feeling happy. I'll admit it was quite predictable, but nevertheless it was a great read !
I recommend it to fans of YA contemporary book.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

message 1: by Nina ♥ (last edited Feb 04, 2012 11:13AM) (new)

Nina ♥ Good review, I can't wait to read this book! I love the cover, and over all it just sounds amazing! <3

message 2: by Nick (last edited Feb 04, 2012 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick I love the cover too. It's simple and blue ! (I love blue !)
Thanks Nina !
I can't wait to see what you think about it !