mlady_rebecca's Reviews > Succubus Blues

Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead

This is a book I picked up purely on the basis of my love of the author's "Dark Swan" series. My pre-reading impression was that Georgina relished the evil part of being a succubus. I couldn't have been further from the truth.

In another century, under another name, Georgina was human. She cheated on her husband and saw him on the verge of suicide. So her deal with the devil was to spare her husband the memory of her infidelity, to spare him of any memory of her at all. In exchange, she became an immortal succubus. To survive, she must drain men of their life energy. And her demon supervisor would be all so pleased if she signed over some good men to their side, while she's at it.

But lately Georgina has trying to feed on the dregs of society, which leads to a very lonely existence. Anyone she really has feelings for, she can't be with, for fear of draining them fatally. So, as the book opens, we meet modern day Georgina, a bookstore manager, pining over her favorite author and otherwise hanging out with a couple of vampires and an imp.

Those who like their good and evil to be black and white might not like this universe where angels and demons can be the best of friends and which side of the fence you fall on is less a matter of core morality and more a matter of where fate leads you. I like my urban fantasy with shades of grey, so it worked for me.

Love the depiction of Seth, the introverted best selling author Georgiana is crushing on. As an introvert myself, I can assure you the "more eloquent in writing" thing is entirely accurate. Introverts can be witty in person, but they really do need to warm up to you first. Seth makes a perfect foil for Georgiana and, despite Georgiana's "complication", I was pulling for a relationship as much as they were.

As for the baddie killing off supernatural creatures on both sides of the fence, I did figure out "who done it" before Georgiana, but not by much. And he too fit the "not so black and white" definition of things. Lots of shades of grey.

This is a closed universe. As a succubus, Georgiana has the ability to shape shift - from changing her features slightly, to appearing as a different person, to shifting into an animal form. Obviously the greater the shift, the greater the energy expenditure, so mostly she uses it for slight changes to her features. The vampires we see are fairly typical vampires, I believe. This is my first book with an imp. He's sort of the "deal with the devil" bookie. And then there is Georgiana's demon supervisor and his "slumming" angel buddy. In this universe, all supernatural creatures start off as human, except for the arch demons and angels.

Hmmmm, if you didn't guess by now, I loved this book and I'm cursing the weekend and holiday that are making my 2 day shipping (on the next book) take like 4 days. Come on Mr. UPS man.

P.S. This is a six book closed ended series where all six books have been published. The only waiting I will have to do is if I want all six books from the same imprint with the same cover scheme. At the moment, only the first three have been reprinted, and you know how I hate mixing my cover schemes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succubus Blues.

Quotes mlady_rebecca Liked

Richelle Mead
“I figured I could read more than five pages tonight since I'd been deprived for the last couple of days. When I finished the fifteenth, I discovered I was three pages from the next chapter. Might as well end with a clean break. After I was done, I sighed and leaned back, feeling decadent and spent. Pure bliss. Books were a lot less messy than orgasms.”

Richelle Mead
“Sometimes you wake up from a dream. Sometimes you wake up in a dream. And sometimes, every once in a while, you wake up in someone else's dream. ”

Richelle Mead
“Aubrey, crouching on a nearby counter, watched me with squinty eyes, apparently pondering why anyone would willingly immerse themselves in water ever, let alone for extended periods of time. ”

Richelle Mead
“Well, that depends, I suppose. I heard someone once say that men dance the same way they have sex. So, if you want everyone here to think you're the kind of guy who just sits around and—"
He stood up. "Let's dance.”

Richelle Mead
“Longing surged up within me. I wanted it. Oh God, I wanted it. I didn't want to hear Jerome chastise me for my "all lowlifes, all the time" seduction policy. I wanted to come home and tell someone about my day. I wanted to go out dancing on the weekends. I wanted to take vacations together. I wanted someone to hold me when I was upset, when the ups and downs of the world pushed me too far.
I wanted someone to love. ”

Richelle Mead
“Immortals are, by definition, immortal. End of story.”

Richelle Mead
“Very often the things we most desire come only after much patience and struggle.”

Richelle Mead
“Look, don’t get me wrong. I worship the ground this guy walks on. I’m excited to meet him tonight. I’m dying to meet him tonight. If he wanted to carry me off and make me his love slave, I’d do it, so long as I got advance copies of his books.”

Richelle Mead
“It’s important to keep up appearances with books,” I explained. “Image goes a long way in this business.”

He dared a look over at me, still nervous but steadily recovering his composure. “I go more for content.”

"Really?” I repositioned slightly so that we were touching again, the soft flannel of his shirt brushing my bare skin. “Because I could have sworn a moment ago you were pretty caught up in outside appearance.”

His eyes shifted down again, but I could see a smile curving his lips. “Well. Some things are so striking, they can’t help but draw attention to themselves.”

"And doesn’t that make you curious about what’s inside?”

"Mostly it makes me want to get you some advanced copies.”

Advanced copies? What did he—?

"Seth? Seth, where—ah, there you are.” Paige turned down our aisle, Doug following behind. She brightened when she saw me, and I felt my stomach sink out of me and hit the floor with a thud as I put two and two together. No. No. It couldn’t be—

"Ah, Georgina. I see you’ve already met Seth Mortensen.”

Richelle Mead
“Kill me, Doug. Just kill me now. Put me out of my misery.”

“Christ, Kincaid, what did you say to him?” murmured Doug.

“Well,” I told Doug, “I ripped on his fans and on how long it takes for his books to come out.”

Doug stared at me, his expectations exceeded.

“Then I said—not knowing who he was—that I’d be Seth Mortensen’s love slave in exchange for advanced copies of his books.”

Richelle Mead
“We all have moments of weakness. It’s how we recover from them that really counts.”

Richelle Mead
“All right, Mortensen, last chance. Are you ready to make the switch from voyeur to exhibitionist?”

He inclined his head toward me curiously. “Are we still talking about dancing?”

“Well, that depends, I suppose. I heard someone once say that men dance the same way they have sex. So, if you want everyone here to think you’re the kind of guy who just sits around and—”

He stood up. “Let’s dance.”

Richelle Mead
“Love is rarely flawless,” Carter pointed out. “Humans delude themselves by thinking it has to be. It is the imperfection that makes love perfect.”

Richelle Mead
“Sleep with Seth Mortensen? Good grief. It was the most preposterous thing I'd ever heard. It was appalling. If I absorbed his life force, there was no telling how long it'd be until his next book came out.”
tags: humor

Richelle Mead
“Statistics show that most mortals sell their souls for five reasons: sex, money, power, revenge, and love. In that order.”

Richelle Mead
“What were good and evil, really, but stupid categories? Stupid categories
that restricted people and punished or rewarded them based on how they responded to their own natures, natures they really didn't have any way to control.”

“To Thetis,
Long overdue, I know, but every often the things we most desire come only after much patience and struggle. That is a human truth, I think. Even Peleus knew that.
-Seth”

Richelle Mead
“Do you know the rest?"Doug asked me expectantly.
"What?The Achilles was a dysfuctional psychopath? Yeah I know that."
"Well, yeah, everyone knows that. I mean the really cool part. About Thetis and Peleus." I shook my head, and he continued, professor-like, "Thetis was a sea mymph, and Peleus was a mortal who loved her. Only, when he went to woo her, she was a real bitch about it."
"How so?"
"She was a shape-shifter."
I nearly dropped the book. "What?"
Doug nodded. "He approached her, and she turned into all sorts of shit to scare him off - wild animals, forces of natures, monsters, whatever."
"What... what'd he do?"
"He held on. Grabbed her and wouldn't let go through all of those terrible transformations. No matter what she turned into, he just held on.”

Richelle Mead
“Because...Beacause it's so good, and there's only one chance to read a book for the first time, and I want it to last. That experience. I'd finish it in a day otherwise, and that'd be like...like eating a carton of ice cream in one sitting. Too much richness over too quickly. This way, I can draw it out. Make the book last longer. Savor it. I have to since they don't come out that often.”

Richelle Mead
“Don't get caught up in fashion games. These kids probably think we're old, nark conformists or something, but really, they're just conforming in their own ways. They're conforming to nonconformity.”

Richelle Mead
“Poor Martin. Geek or no, committing his soul to eternal damnation was a helluva price to pay for six minutes.”

Richelle Mead
“Well, if the excitement's over, I think I'll take a bath.'

'Wow. The harsh lifestyle of a succubus. I wish I had your job.'

'Hey, our side's always recruiting. You might need to be a little prettier to be an incubus, though. And a little more charming.'

'Untrue. Mortal women go for jerks. I see it all the time.'

'Touché.”