The Flooze's Reviews > Gunmetal Magic

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, owned, vanquished_2013
Read from January 17 to 19, 2013 , read count: 1

*4.5*

Fanfuckingtastic.

I'll admit I was worried about this one. As Roman tells Andrea, "You were all clenched up before... Very serious. Robot Andrea." And she was. In Kate's books, I'd found her absolute devotion to rules and order difficult to relate to. I admired her skill and determination, but I didn't look forward to a whole book from her POV.

I was incredibly, blissfully surprised then to find myself adoring the new Andrea. She's changed, and it's all for the better. Though she still has the same strong moral imperative to help others, she's "so very, very tired of standing on [her] own brakes." She refuses to deny her nature, and she's a more engaging character because of it.

That's not to say she doesn't still have some issues to work through, but they no longer seem insurmountable. Much of the book is spent addressing just that, in both obvious and subtle ways. But as with everything else, once the tenacious Andrea has set her mind on rebuilding her life and confronting her issues, she can't do anything but succeed.

The change in her was refreshing. So, too, was the change in Raphael, whom I'd found lacklustre in a previous short. The badass, sharp, loving guy is back, and he's vicious in his pursuit of his mate. I enjoyed their dynamic, both of them knowing they'd royally screwed up and both attacking the resulting situation in so many wrong ways. There's a lot of hurt here, and the characters seem real in how they react without going over an unforgivable edge.

The book also addresses Andrea's relationship with the Pack in general. She's a woman who likes things on her own terms, and the way she handles the situation felt just right.

Andrea being Kate's best friend, it's understandable that the Beast Lord's Consort make an appearance or two. They're fabulous, shoring up my opinion of Kate as a sarcastic, badass, good-hearted phenom with completely insane eyes. Seeing her and Curran from outside the relationship confirms they are very much in love. And scary as hell.

Kate's presence also prompts direct comparison between the two heroines. As Jim states, you call Andrea when you need a methodical investigation. You call Kate when you want half the world to explode. Their differences are evident in the writing. For example, through Andrea's eyes the devastation of Post-Shift Atlanta seems more drastic, more alarming in scale. I got a much better grasp of the city from her detailed descriptions. Andrea is also willing to pore over evidence and spend hours conducting research. No worries - the story's pacing is perfect, with plenty of action...but can you picture Kate ever having the patience for such a thing? Ha. There's a reason she tolerates Saiman, the walking encyclopaedia.

All things considered, Andrea and Kate share many compelling traits, but they are certainly individuals.

As for the investigation, it was fun watching Andrea turn her vast knowledge of the laws to her advantage. Her understanding of people - borne from years of saving victims and defeating baddies while in the Order - serves her well. She's quick-thinking and almost always in control. There are plenty of brutal fight scenes, reinforcing her physical prowess and making her much more than the gun-loving girl of Kate's books. Following leads with her was exciting and tense.

The case also expands our knowledge of this world. More information is given on the Firsts - their creation, their powers. Anything Curran-related is welcome. We also spend more time with Roman. The black volhv is absolutely intriguing, and I stand with countless others in my hope for a story focused entirely on him. Lots of other known characters pop in and out, their behaviour revealing much in terms of Pack politics. It's fascinating to see so much of Kate's world from a different point of view.

The story wrap-up and epilogue succeeded in two things: bringing this story to a neat, satisfying close; making me wish desperately for more. If you told me tomorrow that Andrea would be getting her own series, I'd be thrilled. Yup. That's quite a departure from how I felt going in, and I'm utterly thankful to have my mind changed. Thanks, Ilona and Gordon, for creating yet another character I'd gladly follow anywhere.

Magic Gifts - *4*
Great novella with a sweet ending and a comeuppance-filled epilogue.

I'm glad I read this after Gunmetal Magic, contrary to the authors' suggestion. There are overlapping scenes between the two and I think one aspect was better experienced from Andrea's POV first, for shock-value.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gunmetal Magic.

Quotes The Flooze Liked

“Kate smirked.
"What?"
"Your horse looks pink."
"So?"
"If you paste some stars on her butt you'll be riding My Little Pony."
"Bugger off." I patted the mare's neck. "Don't listen to her, Sugar. You are the cutest horsey ever. The correct name for her color is strawberry roan, by the way."
"Strawberry Shortcake, more like it. Does Strawberry Shortcake know you stole her horse? She will be berry, berry angry with you."
I looked at her from under half-lowered eyelids. "I can shoot you right here, on this road, and nobody will ever find your body.”

Ilona Andrews
“You’re the most experienced investigator I’ve got who’s not tied up in something, and I can’t ask the Consort to look look into it, because A) she and Curran are working on something else and B) when the Consort gets involved, half of the world blows up.”

Ilona Andrews
“At first glance you looked at Kate and thought “fighter,” maybe merc. Five inches taller than me, she was all muscle—well, and some boobs—but mostly muscle. She moved like a predator and when she got pissed off, she exhaled aggression, like hot breath on a winter evening. Still, men looked, until they saw her eyes. Kate’s eyes were crazy. It was that hidden-deep crazy that told you that you had no idea what the hell she would do next but whatever it was, the bad guys wouldn’t like it.”

Ilona Andrews
“Did those nice church ladies come by again?"
He nodded. "I asked them if a man died and then the woman remarried, and then the three of them met in heaven, would it be a sin for them to have a threesome, since they were all married in God's eye. And they decided they were late to be somewhere else.”

Ilona Andrews
“Bad days, good days, ‘I’ll cut you if you look at me the wrong way’ days. I’ll take them all.”

Ilona Andrews
“How is it that I could run into a gunfight against overwhelming odds and put myself between bullets and civilians, but I couldn't scrape together enough courage to speak to the one person who mattered the most to me?”

Ilona Andrews
“The dark scary servant of all evil was on his way to rescue me. Somehow that thought failed to make me warm and fuzzy.”

Ilona Andrews
“So we have giant super-smart vipers who slithered in here, killed our people, opened the vault, stole something from it, and slithered out, undetected?”
“Appears so.”
“Okay. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something dangerous.”

Ilona Andrews
“One look at Rebecca and Aunt B would have an instant apoplexy.
Raphael’s eyebrows furrowed. “My mother’s approval isn’t necessary.”
Aha. “Does she know that?”

Ilona Andrews
“Why had I wasted all my time pretending to be someone I wasn't? I was tired, so very, very tired of standing on my own brakes. I felt...right. I felt free.”

Ilona Andrews
“Why not? It's natural selection. Just like nature." I wrinkled my nose. "Boudas love this argument, because it gives them an excuse to do all the wrong things. 'I'm sorry I screwed your sister and got my penis stuck in your German shepherd. It's in my nature. I just couldn't help myself.”

Ilona Andrews
“The door swung open and Kate walked in. Her jeans and T-shirt were splattered with blood and she was carrying a severed vampire head. The T-shirt has a smiley face on it.”

Ilona Andrews
“Kate leaned back against her chair. "Where is the bane of my existence?"
"In the shower, freshening up."
"Oh, God, who did Asciano screw now?"
"No, no, he's covered in blood."
"Oh good." She sighed and stopped. "The kid is covered in blood and we're relieved. There is something wrong with us.”

Ilona Andrews
“My mind struggled to formulate a coherent though, any thought. I opened my mouth. "Your pajamas have Eeyore on them."

"I like Eeyore. He's sensible. A sober outlook on life never hurt anyone.”

01/16 page 1
0.0% "Now how much do I remember about the last Kate book..." 5 comments
01/17 page 21
4.0% "Even post-apocalypse, there are traffic jams. Oh, the humanity..."
01/17 page 23
5.0% "So far the city itself has much more presence here than in Kate. The devastation feels more acute for some reason."
01/17 page 39
8.0% "His WHAT?!?!"
01/17 page 44
10.0% "Why had I wasted all my time pretending to be someone I wasn't? I was tired, so very, very tired of standing on my own brakes. I felt...right. I felt free."
01/17 page 57
13.0% "I'm sorry I screwed your sister and got my penis stuck in your German shepherd. It's in my nature. I just couldn't help myself." 1 comment
01/17 page 75
17.0% "If all the interrogations go this way, it'll be a hella gory book. And a fabulous one."
01/17 page 84
19.0% "Hi, Kate!!"
01/17 page 85
19.0% "The kid is covered in blood and we're relieved. There is something wrong with us."
01/17 page 86
19.0% "I never took that much of a shine to Andrea in Kate's books. Or her short story. In this, I'm loving her so far."
01/18 page 111
25.0% "The internet lives on in post-shift Atlanta!! All hail the internet! Well, it's only wee bits of it. But still."
01/18 page 114
26.0% "EVERY time I read a Kate book, I tell myself I'm going to research more Slavic folklore. And then I forget, dammit. Helllooo, my favorite volhv."
01/18 page 158
36.0% "Julie is kind of a bitch."
01/18 page 188
43.0% "Hitchhiker's reference!"
01/19 page 247
56.0% ""Your pajamas have Eeyore on them." "I like Eeyore. He's sensible. A sober outlook on life never hurt anyone.""
01/19 page 274
62.0% ""Does Strawberry Shortcake know you stole her horse? She will be berry, berry angry with you." I looked at her from under half-lowered eyelids. "I can shoot you right here, on this road, and nobody will ever find your body.""
01/19 page 308
70.0% "Yeah. Roman needs his own book." 2 comments
05/16 marked as: read

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Would you recommend that I read the other series by Ilona Andrews before starting this one? Thanks :)

The Flooze Hmn. I would say yes for you to appreciate all the character dynamics and so you won't get any spoilers - the main character here is best friends with the lead of the other series, Kate Daniels, so there's lots of overlap.

That said, I think there's enough detail that you won't feel lost; it's not necessary that you read the other to understand what's going on.

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Thanks. I've the other series in my tbr pile for so long that I really should get to it.

The Flooze It's fantastic. I didn't feel that way with the first book - growing pains - but I loved it thereafter.

message 5: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore I can hardly wait to get started :)

The Flooze I shall keep my fingers crossed that you love them as much as the rest of us do!

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore I'll move it up in my tbr, and keep you posted :)

message 8: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Glad you liked the book, don't tell anyone but we were thinking that instead of a Jim and Dali book, we could do a Roman book. He is really funny and we like writing him.

message 9: by Chantal (last edited Jan 22, 2013 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chantal Halpin Gordon wrote: "Glad you liked the book, don't tell anyone but we were thinking that instead of a Jim and Dali book, we could do a Roman book. He is really funny and we like writing him."

OMG YESSSSSS! I liked reading Roman (can you tell?) :D

edit to add: Sorry, I was totally butting in!

Elizabeth Ziko Gordon wrote: "Glad you liked the book, don't tell anyone but we were thinking that instead of a Jim and Dali book, we could do a Roman book. He is really funny and we like writing him."
Roman is pretty cool.

message 11: by Ilona (new)

Ilona Andrews Gordon wrote: "Glad you liked the book, don't tell anyone but we were thinking that instead of a Jim and Dali book, we could do a Roman book. He is really funny and we like writing him."

........................................

message 12: by Mary (last edited Jan 22, 2013 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Gordon wrote: "Glad you liked the book, don't tell anyone but we were thinking that instead of a Jim and Dali book, we could do a Roman book. He is really funny and we like writing him."

I like how you said "don't tell anyone" and put it on the interwebs.

Why not do both? I would love to read both books, personally. :D

message 13: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Gordon, he is funny and makes me laugh!

message 14: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Phil wrote: "Gordon, he is funny and makes me laugh!" Thank you, see Ilona.

message 15: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Thought that would help you out some.

Chantal Halpin Ilona wrote: "Why? Why me? Why do you tell people things? Don't say things. Things are bad. Things complicate publisher negotiations. Our editor reads your twitter and blog............"

Heheh

The Flooze Shhhhh, everyone. Be vewwy, vewwy secwetive...

But, heyyyy! ::googlegoogle:: Our darling dark priest did get 89% in his poll.

(Ilona's blog posts come back to haunt her. Muah hah hah.)

Claudia Mary wrote: "Gordon wrote: "Glad you liked the book, don't tell anyone but we were thinking that instead of a Jim and Dali book, we could do a Roman book. He is really funny and we like writing him."

I like h..."

I totally agree ... I would love to read Jim and Dalis story, but Roman would be nice as well ...
so definitely both for me :-)