Trunatrschild's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

Apr 05, 2012

bookshelves: amazon-vine-program, non-fiction
Read from January 31 to April 05, 2012

I ordered this book with some dread as I'm aware that reality in the slums of India is probably beyond my American comprehension. I wanted to read it, but wasn't sure if I could take the heart ache. I have to say that I'm sure glad I got up my guts and read it, it's a beautiful book! Hard to believe a book about suffering can be beautiful, but people have to have some beauty or they don't want to live, and Katharine Boo knows how to write a book like this so that we can find beauty amongst the despair. It's very well written in a novel style so that it doesn't get heavy and the author is able to find things in Annawadi that can make people want to live, though some obviously can't, but to some, garbage picking is a step up, and of course to the dalits a familiar tradition going back who knows how many generations. I hope you read it, it's an education and a worthwhile read while you're at it, I actually looked forward to reading it in my habitual night time book hour, as I became involved in the characters lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.