Alyce (At Home With Books)'s Reviews > The Persian Pickle Club

The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas

Jan 31, 2012

it was ok

The Persian Pickle Club was just a mediocre read for me, although the rest of the members of my book club liked it. I thought that the writing was over-simplified, and I know that part of the reason for this impression was that there was a lot of back and forth everyday dialogue about things inconsequential to the plot (and a lot of folksy Southern speech).

My guess is that this was one of those friendship club books that got churned out after the Ya-Ya book gained popularity (even though this book is set in an earlier era). Also, there was a lot of quilting in the story, and much gushing over different quilting styles and blankets, and I don’t quilt so this was wasted on me. I didn’t hate the story, but I wouldn’t have finished it had it not been for book club.

To top it all off, the ending seemed odd. It didn’t really fit with the tone of the rest of the story, and I can’t really discuss it without giving away spoilers, but wasn’t a satisfying ending to me. There were a couple of funny moments in the story which keep me from giving this book a lower rating, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Persian Pickle Club.