Victor's Reviews > June 6, 1944: The Voices of D-Day

June 6, 1944 by Gerald Astor

Jul 23, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2010 — I own a copy

Although I enjoyed and take off my hat in honor of those better than me that participated in the most significant military operation in World War II, the story becomes repetitive the longer you read through its pages.

The account is taken from hundreds of interviews conducted by Gerald Astor and they do give a vivid recollection of the events that led to the preparation and invasion. There is hardly any involvement between the main characters of the allied offensive, and their place is taken by young men who share their fears and courage in the significant events of the invasion.

Astor will take you from the initial recruitment, to the training stages and the experiences of paratroopers, infantry and artillery. Those that shared their stories will honor the fallen, remembering heroic actions from those who did not return.

I am not particularly inclined to read non-fiction, but I do value history and this was a very good read form that standpoint. As I mentioned before, it does become repetitive because Alstor uses different accounts to portray similar events, therefore, we have a feel that we are listening to the same story, just told from a different perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read June 6, 1944.