Brenda's Reviews > Not in the Heart

Not in the Heart by Chris Fabry

Jan 31, 12

Read in January, 2012

As a journalist Truman Wiley traveled the world reporting on the latest headline, while his home life was falling apart. He was rarely there for his wife and children. Now he is unemployed and is sinking fast in gambling debts, but nothing worries him more than his eighteen year old son Aiden's failing heart. Truman is given the opportunity to write the story of Terrelle Conley a death row inmate who is due to be executed in thirty days who wants to donate his heart to Aiden. As Truman investigates Terrelle's story he uncovers something that may prove that Terrelle is actually an innocent man. What will Truman do with this information? Will he let an innocent man be put to death to save his son?
This story really has a lot going on. It is mostly told thru the eyes of Truman, and while I disliked Truman from the beginning, I really wanted to know how things would work out for his family, especially Aiden. Because the author paints Truman as a dark character it allowed me to see how addictions can take a toll not only on family but on the addicted person as well.I really felt like it was the fear of thinking that people would see him as a failure that made him fail the ones who needed him most.
This book wasn't an easy read by any means. It dealt with many heavy issues, but the ending made the read worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not in the Heart.