K's Reviews > Eden

Eden by Keary Taylor

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: romantic, ya, melodramatic
Read on January 31, 2012

Romance/Action-Adventure with the emphasis on romance. Can you say, "love triangle"? I'm not a fan of pure romance but thankfully there was a large portion of non-love-triangle plot which made the story bearable.

Good things first: The world Taylor created was well drawn and the story moved along nicely. It was engaging and intriguing and I never felt bored even though the characters rambled along for most of the book before I had any clue as to where the story was going. That didn't bother me though.

What bothered me was Eve. She seemed so human until she found out she was a robot. Then she started having some kind of identity crisis because all of a sudden she thought she had no feelings? She had them all along. I wouldn't have cared that she was ignorant but it felt contrived, and then it DRAGGED out the aforementioned triangle to EPIC proportions. And once she chooses, she's just like, "so... I know you can't hear me but, I'm out. Peace." Although maybe I should be grateful we're spared the awkwardness of that confrontation.

And then there was the writing. At first I thought it was just excessive typos. Then I thought, maybe it's supposed to be the main character's "voice"? But no, it's just bad writing.

E.g. "Then he shook West and I's hands as well" and "I extended a hand to the man who I had just broken his nose"

I'm not a grammar Nazi by any stretch of the imagination, but sentences like these really threw me off and made it harder to read, which is a huge pity - for obvious reasons.

In the end, I liked what another reviewer said: "Such a beautiful cover with such a brilliant blurb and let's face it - an aweomse potential storyline, if it had not been for the way it was massacred by the awful writing and flat characters." (Emphasis mine)
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden.

Rebekah Martin I'm only part of the way through, and I agree. Great premise/cover, but seriously. What the heck?