Cassandra Wright's Reviews > I am Scout: The Biography of Harper Lee

I am Scout by Charles J. Shields

F_50x66
Jan 31, 12

I am Scout is a fascinating and well-written biography of Nelle Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird. The connection it shows between author and her work compliment each book and captured the interest and imagination. It is exciting to know that Scout lived, and refreshing to read about the success of one determined,non-conforming, clear-sighted, spunky young writer.

The book details events through Lee's life from early childhood to her years as an older woman at peace with herself, all the while drawing connections from the events and people which influenced her to her magnum opus. It shows how her early life affected the work, how the work affected her, and how the work affected her family and community.

Overall, I would highly recommend this biography as a companion to Lee's novel. It added depth and a new dimension of interest to an already fascinating tale, while inspiring the reader with respect for determination leading to achievement, and a thirst for that sort ability to remain true to oneself which Nelle Harper Lee embodies.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Scout.