Anna's Reviews > The Tribes of Palos Verdes

The Tribes of Palos Verdes by Joy Nicholson

Jul 19, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2008

I picked this book up at the library simply because the title caught my eye. I didn't really know anything about it or the author and decided to give it a shot.

I read the whole thing in one sitting and it was a surprisingly decent, but somewhat twisted story. It's about a very dysfunctional family in southern California. The narrator is a 14/15 year old female who turns to surfing as a way of coping with her problems. Her twin brother, on the other hand, tries to be the "good guy" and finds that he has a really difficult time dealing and eventually turns to drugs. The story's much more complicated than that but that's kind of the gist of it. I felt like at times it was incredibly realistic. At other times not so much. The mother was very clearly a psycho but the father seemed a bit too clueless also.

I don't know, overall it was a good read and I'd recommend it but it's not necessarily something I'd go out of my way to recommend either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tribes of Palos Verdes.