Jeanna's Reviews > When My Baby Dreams

F_50x66
Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: ambivalent, parenting, pic-books
Read in January, 2012

So, like many people, I was first introduced to these pictures through email/blog posts. And I loved them. Love love loved them. Enersen's images of her baby sleeping are sweet, lyrical, dreamlike (which seems appropriate), and just lovely. So I was really jazzed to buy a copy of the book so I could have them for my very own.

And I do love the pictures, and I will look at them repeatedly and think, "I wish I'd done something so lovely for my daughters when they were newborns."

But. I was hoping for a lovely, simple book filled with beautiful images and little to no text. Kind of a nice coffee table art book.

Instead, the presentation was a lot like a scrapbook. Kinda cutesy, with little "stickery" things (fortunately no stickers on the pictures themselves,but the pics were "cut out" with dotted line cutesiness). And the text... Enersen is a lovely photographer, but I don't think she's much of a writer. I would have loved Shannon Hale-esque lyrical writing if we had to have any writing at all. Instead, the little bits of text really are exactly what I imagine in a scrapbook that is trying to be a picture book.

One last complaint: Because there is text accompanying every picture, there were far fewer pictures in the book than I had expected, which was also a disappointment.

Still, the pictures made it worth purchasing the book for me, just because I like them so much. I just wished there were more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When My Baby Dreams.