Jazzmarie Vedrine's Reviews > Is Your Mama a Llama?

Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: easy-read, mother-child-relationship, animals, toddler-2-3yr, pre-school-3-5
Read in January, 2012

I enjoyed reading this book because it introduced animals that are not always found in the zoo. It introduced a 2 - 4 year child to a Llama, seal, bat, swan and kangaroo. The book rhymes and uses descriptive words in describing the various animals. The children will learn words that describes body parts of an animal, the texture of their fur, what they do, where they are found, and the sounds they make. The book keeps a child engaged in the story as it is read, and gets the child to guess the animal that the story is describing before it is revealed on the next page.

CREATIVE EXPERIENCE:
Guess who? In helping to remember the animals in the story, I would place different textured fabrics in a bag that were the same or close to the same texture to the animals in the story. One by one I would pull out the fabric pieces, like for example, feathers and say the rhyming part of the story that described the swan, so the children would guess that animal. I would even extend it to ask the children the names of other animals with feathers. Basically helping the children with classification and categorization skills.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Your Mama a Llama?.