Grace Herndon's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Pete Hamill

F 50x66
Jan 31, 12

This book and I have a love/hate relationship. Forever took me much longer to read than books I have read in the past. I was surprised at first when I started to read this book because the story did not start as I had expected it to. From the back cover of the book I could tell that this book had an element of fantasy and that it took place in New York city. However, the book starts off in Ireland (around the 1700s I believe) and with out prior knowledge I would have considered this book to be historical fiction.
I thought that there was too long of an introduction of the characters and description of Ireland in the beginning of the book. I got pretty bored reading about the day to day life of Cormac O'Conner very fast and I would put down the book and not read for several days. Something kept me coming back though, the story that unfolded was eerie, dark and mysterious. It was after the death of Cormac's mother that the book seemed to really get started.
The element of fantasy was revealed when Cormac's father starts to teach him the ways of the ancient Ireland religion. As Cormac grows up his father teaches him how to be a true Irish man. Cormac then travels to America seek revenge on the man who kille his mother and the book becomes rather boring again.
The characters in this book are all very relatable and I felt as if I was truly friends with many of the people that Cormac meets in New York. The best part of the book takes place when Cormac rescues a slave who turns out to be a sort of shaman. Cormac almost dies that night but the slave saves him an grants him eternal life as long as he never leaves the island of Manhattan. I love the way that Cormac is able to encounter people from so many different eras and watch the evolution of New York City almost from its birth. However overall I thought this book was a great idea but it did not hold my attention and I found it hard to finish. I would recommend this book to read because I thought it was interesting but it is definitely not one of my favorites.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.