Lisa Richards's Reviews > The Catastrophic History of You and Me

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: ya-romance
Read from January 25 to 26, 2012

I was lucky enough to get to read an ARC of TCHoY&M and unfortunately it only last a day. Wow! Never have 400 pages gone by so fast! When I first started it I knew I was in for a treat, when Brie ends up in a Pizza parlor while waiting to move on. I had a few Beatlejuice moments when she was was handed the D&G (Dead and Gone) handbook but this book is so totally unique that they were only flashes. I was constantly grabbing a tissue to blow my nose and wipe my eyes when only moments before I was laughing out loud. It was amazing at the range of emotions that Rothenberg took me through, much like the 5 stages of grief that Brie had to go through.

The main characters, Brie and Patrick, were so very real and so likeable and one of my favorite things about the book was the music titles for each chapter. They really set the mood for each chapter and kind of gave you a hint of what was upcoming. And even though I don’t listen to music while reading or writing, if I was to reread this book, I’d likely set up the playlist in the background.

It's a sad romantic story that will make you think about your life, family, friends, and loves. It’s a story that as a 14 year old I’d have stayed up all night reading and swore I was too sick to go to school the next day- “see mom, my eyes are so red and swollen”- just so I could finish it. As an adult, I simply stayed up all night and napped the next day. I look forward to reading more by this awesome author. Good job!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catastrophic History of You and Me.