Amy Lane's Reviews > Static

Static by L.A. Witt

Jan 31, 2012

I enjoyed this book very much-- the idea as a metaphor for transgender identity was brilliant, and it did what good sci-fi SHOULD do--show us our own world on a canvas so subtly warped, with colors so delicately changed from our own reality that the truths of our own societal inadequacies aren't hurtful--they are simply revealing. The fact that Witt tackled this difficult, delicate subject in speculative fiction was, in fact, ingenious, and it truly made a solid, important point about respecting transgenderism and being good to people--ALL people--and respectful of gender identity as it is presented to us by a person using their own self-perception.

My only problem was one induced by the structure--and the author did this on purpose, and she did it skillfully--and that was that she made the relationship between the two protagonists match the situation. It was, in fact, static, until Damon got over his original self-acknowledged prejudices, and that static quality between the two characters was VERY difficult for me to read. (I write and read with ADHD-- is something happening now? Now? Are they fighting? Fucking? Running for their lives? Has the sky fallen? Dammmit, why not?) The thing is, I think Witt was brilliant-- I do. She should be proud of this, it's an amazing concept. Any flaws I've discussed here are really flaws in my own attention span--but I like to think someone reading this review who had the same problem will be able to put their finger on it, so there it is.

This was an awesome book, and an important one, and I enjoyed it very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Static.

03/28 marked as: read