Puneri's Reviews > The Pianist

The Pianist by Władysław Szpilman

Feb 24, 12

Read in February, 2012

This book needs no introduction. In fact this books is so real and powerful that even finding the words to praise this one is hard. It actually took me a long time to go through this book. It was just too hard not to cry almost reading every single page. The situations of the orphans marching to their death and the beggar drinking soup from the platform, are too heartbreaking. I cried so much that I had to stop reading. Holocaust books always make me think about human hate and misery. I can't understand how can humans be so cruel and heartless? The history in all those memoirs is same but the experience of human evil though same is always horrifying. It just makes we wonder what and how we fall so low that we don't even care and think for minute about our actions. In last few weeks, I have read memoirs of Holocaust survivors and civil rights fighters. And I find a similar theme; Us v. Them. The religion, the race and some other dividing factor always creeps up and destroys humanity.

I think all this history of hate and shame teaches something; to get over these horrible emotions and look at the world as it is. One world with all human beings. This may sound naive but unless we realize how similar we are, the death of humanity in the name of some factor will never stop. Perhaps, all the writers who wrote about those experiences had that thought lingering in their mind, somewhere.

The Pianist is definitely a strong memoir that everyone should read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pianist.