Jill's Reviews > Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft

Jan 31, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, 2012-challenge, spirituality
Read from January 31 to February 22, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Feb. 18 -- 3/4’s done with the book.

I’m mostly done with this book.
A lot of it I skimmed over as his suggestions are not pertinent to how I practice, which is alone and clothed, nor did I listen to his suggestions on how to ruin my stove by making my own athame.

While I understand the magic and connection by making something yourself (believe me, my passion is crafting and making things from scratch), metal working is not something I would suggest to a novice or anyone unfamiliar with crafting or outside of a workshop area. Wouldn’t a beautiful incense burner been more accessible for people reading his books, as all you need are a drill and a piece of wood and whatever you want to adorn it with? Perhaps an additional book titled “The Complete Book of Making Your Own Magickal Witchcraft Stuff” (I didn’t check, did he write one and I didn’t take notice when he sourced yet another piece of his work for more information). I digress.

History section is laughable and worth skipping.

Another annoyance was in his herb section. He mentions that a common medicine was extracted from foxglove, which was an herb used by village wise-women in days of yore. Okay. He also forgot to mention that foxglove can be highly poisonous and shouldn't really be used or ingested. He didn't put it in his poisonous herb section either.

I'm pretty irritated with his chapter on "Magick" (chapter 11). I feel like if I don't do it his way, then it's so obviously wrong. I don't feel that his way is right for me. There is a little too much structure to his style and I'm a very "come as you are" person.

There are sections that I find helpful, meditation being a big one as I have trouble with it. But when it comes down to it, this isn't the beginner witchcraft book for me.

I have to stop getting Wicca-influenced books, I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft.

02/05/2012 page 173