Nancy J's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

5032063
Apr 13, 12

Read from January 31 to April 13, 2012

First of all, I'm not a Stephen King fan. I've tried to read a few of his books without finishing them. They were so hokey, and I like weirdness to be believable.

On my 16th birthday, November 22, 1963, I was sitting in Mrs. Brown's junior year English class. The class was interrupted by the announcement over the PA system that President Kennedy had been shot. It took a couple of seconds for my brain to comprehend what I'd just heard, and I looked around the room in horror. Everyone looked shocked and seemed to be looking around as I was, just for affirmation that this was what it seemed. Shortly thereafter came the announcement that the president was dead. There were gasps and sniffling, and I saw heads bowed and tears spilling over. I believe in the moments to follow, there was not a dry eye in the classroom.

I HAD to read this book because I grew up in the "Land of Ago," which were the best years of my life. It took me a long time to read it because of life happening and the fact that it was on loan to me from the library. I got to page 600 before having to return it, and I couldn't renew it because of the waiting requests. The librarian put my name on the bottom to get it again, and it was quite some time before it was available to me to finish. I have two speeds: slow and slower, but this was a genuine page turner, and I hated that it ended. I have a newfound respect for Stephen King. This has to be his masterpiece for which he'll be remembered.

There is no point in giving my version of a prologue. There are many of those, and everyone knows what it's about anyway. I would really love to thank Stephen King personally for the journey this book represents. I laughed. I cried. I lived it. I loved it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

02/16/2012 page 600