Nikki's Reviews > The Thorn and the Blossom

The Thorn and the Blossom by Theodora Goss

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: arthurian, based-on-myth-saga-etc, short-stories-novellas
Read on January 31, 2012

Lent to me by a friend (thanks!) -- I received it in the post today and read it this evening in one go. It's a pair of connected novellas/short stories, which cover more or less the same events from the point of view of the two main participants. It doesn't really matter which you read first: each illuminates and complements the other. It's a lot of fun, actually: the physical copy of the book has concertina pages, so you read it one way, turn it round, and read back the other. It's a very nice little volume.

The story itself is a little bit thin, I think: it's vaguely based on the Arthurian romance tradition, though on a story that I've never heard of and which I think was invented by the author. I like the idea, but I feel like a lot more could've been done with it -- despite the freshness of the idea, it does feel a little... gimmicky.

Oh, and I liked the fact that the narratives didn't exactly mesh. They don't remember, word-for-word, what each said to the other. It's very human, and unreliable. I liked it, in this instance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thorn and the Blossom.