Bonnie's Reviews > The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914

The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough

Feb 09, 12

Read from January 31 to February 09, 2012

I read this book for background before my husband, other family members and I go on a Panama Canal cruise. I'm very glad I did since now I'll have a much better idea of what I'm seeing and how it was built. It is an engrossing story, especially the parts that concern what happened in Panama. The middle of the book was less interesting to me (but still worth reading). It concerned the legal issues surrounding the failure of the French company that went under trying to excavate the Canal and the controversy in the United States between a canal in Panama or one in Nicaragua and the negotiations between the United States and the French company.

Especially interesting to me were the problems with yellow fever and malaria and how they were solved. There were interesting personalities concerned with making the canal. The details of how the problems with difficult terrain and climate were solved was very interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Path Between the Seas.