Alice Lee's Reviews > The Constant Princess

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory

Aug 14, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2008

I have to confess I wasn't able to finish reading this. It was that bad; a completely sophomoric bore.

The first thing I noticed with this book was, hey, she used the word "screamed" about 15 times more than necessary. About 1/3 through the book I noticed that all she does is write "I am Catalina, Princess of Spain, daughter of the two greatest monarchs the world has ever known...and I will be Queen of England" over and over again. Yes, yes, I get the point. You can STOP repeating yourself, thank you. But no, not only is this book mostly just repeating itself, the characters are insipid, the "love" feels forced, and the writing was incredibly awkward. It reminds me of the Phyllis Whitney books I flipped through in middle school just to get "reading points". In fact, this is how I imagine I would write if I attempted to write a romance novel, that's how bad it was. Ms. Gregory really, really isn't good at forging a believable romance. The only reason I didn't give it a 1 star is because I was at least pretty interested in the story behind the history until I really couldn't take her poor excuse of a novel any more and called it quits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Constant Princess.