Alice Lee's Reviews > Walking on Glass

Jul 12, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2008

It was disjointed, choppy, and disorienting. Like Mr. Banks took three separate stories, threw it in a blender, pulsed for a few seconds and called that a novel. I'm sure that's how he intends it to be, though.

I lost interest about half way through, having been charmed by none of the characters. But I kept reading diligently, because if experience of Mr. Banks has served me well - even if the only other book by him I've read was Wasp Factory - then there's very likely one of those "Ooooh! Everything suddenly makes sense now!" endings coming up.

And behold, my efforts did pay off, and the ending indeed was as "Oooh!" as it could be. However, "Oooh!"-endings does not a great book make, and I'm still going to point out how his writing style is as choppy as this novel, and due to this same choppy nature, it also is the opposite of a page-turner. It's like every few pages or so, Mr. Banks tells you to take a break and don't hurry on your way back.

I did enjoy the surreal feeling of the castle, and some underlying silliness, as I'm sure Mr. Banks did not intend this novel to be a completely serious piece of work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking on Glass.