Caitlin Schwatka's Reviews > The Inner City Mother Goose

The Inner City Mother Goose by Eve Merriam

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: eced-221
Read on February 01, 2012

This was definitely an enlightening read for me. It brings up many of our society's dysfunctional attributes, such as violence, racism, poverty, abuse, etc. What is sad, I realized, is that I wouldn't be comfortable reading this to 8 year olds, even though the reason this was written is because this is every day life for hundreds of 8 year olds, even in the United States.
Sounds: like the original Mother Goose, all these poems are written with a distinct rhythm, almost like a song. They are all rhyming poems. They create imagery through the rhyming words that were used.

Images: the words paint very real and violent images in the reader's mind. You are hit with a wall of fresh reality from these poems. It paints the image in your mind that these children in the poems live a very different "night life" than the average, middle-class American.

There is not so much a "positive stretch" to this book, simply because it blatantly expresses the hard truth of life in the inner cities. It is enlightening, but not exactly uplifting.

I may suggest a highschooler reading this for the sake that it is poetry. I would also suggest it to other teachers to bring about awareness of what some of their students are faced with. But definitely not an elementary classroom.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inner City Mother Goose.